I have had loads of WM devices as a few of you know , I have defended them debates of WM vs S60 , and generally I do like them.

But recently I decided to give the HD2 a go as my main device - So I set about putting my regular SIM in it , and letting the 3GS take a back seat for a while - this was not a huge leap of faith for me , as I have been using the HD2 as a second device for a while now and love it. But 3 days later , I am in a position to finally put my finger on what it is that lets WM down
As a second device , I used it for web browsing , messages , reding mails / PDF's .... The HD2 is brilliant for this and truly a joy to use ..... but in promoting it to Number one device , it had to do those things plus one more , very basic feature .... FUNCTION AS A PHONE !!

This has been the problem with many a Windows Mobile device I've owned, looking back . (OK there have been a few that didn't suffer , the MDA Vario , HTC Magician) ... But for all the song and dance that these devices do well , none of it is much good if they can't handle calls !

Example , HD2 rings , I pick up the phone and try to move the slider , it doesn't respond (keeps ringing) until the other end hangs up - I then try to open the call log to see who it was , and the device just freezes .... and then rings again ! (at least I get time to make a note of their number this time !) - I resort to the iPhone and ring them to apologise

Then , a few hours later I make a call and I am unable to hang up at the end It's easy to say "give it a reboot , but how many times does this thing need rebooting ? A quick check on the task manager reveals nothing is hogging resources

If I'm honest , these sort of issues have plagued pretty much every WM device I've owned (bar the two I mentioned earlier !)
I can't understand why this seems to be a problem for WM , across numerous incarnations of OS but not Symbian , android , Apple or anyone else for that matter !

And how have they gotten away with it for so long ? - My hunch is , WM devices are mainly owned by geeks with few friends who don't actually make or receive calls (seriously !) ... As I said , other than that , the HD2 is a brilliant device , Can you imagine the outcry if the iPhone dared to behave in such a manner ? Yet the WM poor phone behaviour is not really talked about !!

Until they can sort this out .... WM is a non starter !