I have spent the last week or so (maybe two ?) trying to get the Mango update for my HTC 7 Pro

This REALLY shouldn't have been that difficult , I have a SIM free device , so I (wrongly) assumed I'd be one of the first to get the update ... but nope !

So , Mango gets launched on the 27th Sept , I plugged my phone in to the "Windows Phone connector for mac" and I get - nothing ! my phone is up to date (erm , no its not !)

So I look into it , and apparanty I am waiting for my carrier to approve the update - On my SIM free device ? ,...... OK not sure that it's any of their damn business ,I didn't BUY the phone off them . but *sigh* OK , I'll put the o2 SIM in it and wait for them to approve it. ....also , how does anyone know whose SIM I have got in the damn thing (I know how they can tell , but I swap the SIM's around from one week to the next - how can it be O2's call on when my update is suitable , when there is every chance I'll be using it on 3 ?

Then a few days later , I note that O2's status is "delivering" - so where's my notification ?

... So I dig a little deeper and it turns out MS are only rolling out slowly to "make are everything is OK" (twats !) at the time I looked they were boasting that around 50% of handsets had updated - Imagine my frustration at reading about Network branded handsets that were running Mango happily , while my SIM free device wasn't getting a sniff ?

Then, I stumble upon this guide , of how to "trick" your PC into letting you have your update , unfortunately , it requires a PC (not a mac)

http://www.techonthego.co.uk/2011/09...mediately-4830

So , I fire up the daughters Laptop , hour of messing .... zune won't install

repeat this on a neighbours laptop

Third time lucky , I try it on the works laptop , Again zune doesn't install , then I discover something bizarre..... If you type "zune software" into google it takes you to the Official zune website ..... and there is a link marked "Download the software" ..... WELL IT DOESN'T WORK !! (This is well known in Apple hate forums apparently) - no , the 100MB file has loads of bits missing and is unlikely to work ! , if you navigate to Microsoft's download site , and snoop around there you find a link to a version that DOES work , which is a 270MB file !! - this works fine and install quickly as expected for windows (half an hour or so )
So , I FINALLY get Zune on a computer and try the "force" method - it doesn't work , so I look around on various forums and see people saying things like "Oh yes , I had to try 60-70 times to get it to work

So , being at work , I gave up !

Then , today I found myself at a loose end , and I also found a computer I'f forgotten I owned (A Vye mini PC , which was a 500mhz Geode / 1GB RAM "netbook" (although it was Pre-netbooks really ) running XP Home
Armed with the knowledge of the RIGHT Zune installer to use , I set about installing it this afternoon - it took nearly two hours !!!

Eventually , I got the force trick to work - but then to my horror , the process hung at "step 6" of 10 , ( fortunately , this seemed to leave my Phone in an unaltered state )

In the end , it was a little bit of luck that got me upgraded , I realised that everything up to "step 6" made my phone show an update notification , and then when it hung , the notification disappeared , so I though I'd chance unplugging it as soon as the notification appeared on the phone screen (before the PC "hung" ) and plugging it into my mac - Sure enough it worked ,and all went like a straightforward update from then.

As for Mango - Well , To be honest the above experience has really put me off the whole thing , I have had a quick play and everything seems VERY quick now , but frankly I can't be bothered with it at the moment !
What with this , and my awful experience of Rooting the SGS2 , I just want to hug my iPhone at the moment !
Thats enough jumping through hoops for one day !