• Show Printable Version
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Linear Mode
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Default HTC Tattoo (Android) hits the UK around £287

Wow! What an attractive looking Android from HTC. I like, I like very much. This is the HTC Tattoo.

Available in a number of colours (see here) this is a gorgeous handset that HTC seem to have made a real effort to address one of the key criticisms of its past Androids, that darned "heel" on the G1, Magic and latterly the Hero. With the Tattoo that is all gone, it looks like a regular candybar smartphone of uniform shape and size.

The Tattoo sports Google Android 1.6 (Donut) with the Hero UI that is all the rage right now. It is a very intuitive UI that blends in access to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube with its own apps. Of course, if these are not good enough for you there is always a huge selection of alternatives on Android Market.

Now for the very interesting bit. The HTC Tattoo, due out in early October, is available SIM-free from Handtec for £287.49 inc VAT. Check that URL for an easy read of the specs although the HTC site [above] is prettier.

While I would not endorse any one particular seller this is a compelling price for a brand new handset incorporating Google Android. Is this the direction that smartphone prices are heading? At that price Apple need to start worrying.

If SIM-free is not for you, or you don't want to lay out £287.49 up front then the HTC Tattoo can be had from Vodafone in October. Although, right now, there is no tariff published it is reasonable to expect the Tattoo to replace the HTC Magic from Vodafone on its £35 and other Magic tariffs.

On the subject of tariffs, I must warn you to be very careful when buying SIM free to use on your network of choice. These new breed of smartphones do make good, and extensive, use of the 3G mobile data networks. If you do not have a data bundle in your tariff you may be faced with a huge monthly bill from your network operator. So just do the checks on your tariff and what is available to add on, and for how much, before you commit to a SIM free handset.

So there you have it. With the Tattoo HTC have taken another evolutionary step in their journey to produce high quality and very sophisticated modern day smartphones.

The HTC Tattoo, absolutely delightful.

Edit: Here is a Google Shopping search that will look for all Tattoo offers between £120 and £300
    Last edited by Hands0n; 25th September 2009 at 09:54 PM.