View Full Version : Odd coverage

AndyC
10th August 2007, 09:56 AM
Hi,

Simple questions this one :-)

Are the coverage maps for o2 and 3 a complete fabrication of lies?

I am 3 days into the 14 day money back period and I am finding 3 coverage fantastic in towns/cities and non-existent everywhere else.

The coverage maps show constant 2g coverage everywhere I have been (North Yorkshire/Scarborough and environs) - but I have never picked up a 2g signal - I just end up with a dead phone with no signal.

On the same trips my old vodafone n70 had constant coverage.

Is this normal for 3? I need to use the phone for business and I travel around the UK a fair bit so this is quite worrying. 3g in cities - fine but I at least need to be able to make/receive calls outside the cities!

I went for a nokia e65 - never had one before so I don't know if the above might be a phone issue or not??

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Andy
PS I am going back to the local store to see the staff and find out if they have anything to add. I really would rather escpe from Vodafone - but it looks like I might be heading back :-(

3GScottishUser
10th August 2007, 10:19 AM
Hi Welcome to talk3g.co.uk.

Your experience sounds a bit strange as 3 UK have a roaming agreement with Orange so that whenever you don't have 3's own 3G coverage you should be able to use the Orange UK GSM network. The phone should simply switch over automatically and you will probably have an indicator on the display that shows 2 or 3G.

Sadly there is no longer a 14 day peace of mind guarantee with 3. If you use the handset to make or receive a call or take any pictures the 14 day peace of mind guarantee no longer applies. I know it's crazy as how can you guage satisfaction until you try the service but that is what they now say clearly on their website.

Hopefully you can get your coverage issue sorted as you may have a bit of a job making 3 cancel the contract.

AndyC
10th August 2007, 11:01 AM
The local store agreed to allow me 14 days grace providing I don't have any charges on the account.

So I have had people calling me or I have called the new mobile from my existing mobile.

I didn't know they were using Orange though.

Interesting - the orange coverage map shows much more detail of the area.

The places where I had no coverage are shown as no coverage (hurrah for honesty!) - but I still seem to have had more drop outs than I should have.

I was with orange a few years ago and whilst their coverage wasn't fantastic - it wasn't terrible either so it might not be as bad as I feared!

I will go practice shop bothering for an afternoon and see what they have to say :)

Andy
PS Thanks for the welcome - nice place you have here - not sure about the curtains but looking forward to meeting peeps :)

Ben
10th August 2007, 02:49 PM
Two posts and you're already making diggs at my interior design skills! Alas, my mother is the Linda Barker of the family :p Sorry about the curtains, they keep out the mosquitos.

Welcome to Talk3G!

A little unrelated I know, but what's got you wanting shot of Vodafone? I think, in terms of coverage, they've got to be the UK's best on the whole - although I appreciate other aspects of them leave a lot to be desired.

Hands0n
10th August 2007, 11:14 PM
I would tend to agree with Ben when it comes to Business use, where any loss of telephone service could well cost you more than the annual mobile contract is worth. Vodafone are unquestioningly the leaders in the Business world - they have the largest adoption and that is purely through merit and nothing else. Simply put, it works as it should.

3's network coverage varies dependent upon where you are. For example, in Kent they seem to have a near-100% coverage from coast to London City - that is my direct experience. Others, however, report a diametrically opposite experience where coverage is non-existent to borderline.

If you are in an area where the handset will be flipping from 3G to 2G you should be aware that your battery life will be significantly impacted upon. You may not make a full working day!