View Full Version : Wall NOT Coming Down Yet!!

getti
2nd September 2005, 08:05 AM
I have just had a PM on another forum from the person who gave me all the new price plan info.

There will be 2 data add-ons. £2.50 gets you to some extra sites 3 offer and £45 gets you 512mb data from using your phone as a modem.

Apart from that you cant do anything still. So no linking to a PDA to check emails, no typing in stuff like 'wap.google.co.uk' or anything :mad:

3GScottishUser
2nd September 2005, 08:19 AM
So it'll be a bigger 'walled garden' for the vast majority who wont want to pay £540 a year for Internet Access.

Who'd have thought it?

No Surprise really.

getti
2nd September 2005, 09:21 AM
Really annoying too as i was looking forward to getting a PDA and using the phone as a modem to check emails etc..

Oh well wont matter much now i guess cause im gonna get a Nokia N90 in 3 days time and il use Vodafone PAYG on it instead

whatleydude
2nd September 2005, 09:58 AM
*wonders if there'll be a Berlin Wall-Esque revolution at 3 one day*

Ben
2nd September 2005, 03:06 PM
So no linking to a PDA to check emails
Using the phone as a modem that shouldn't be a problem, should it? Providing you're forking out the huge data fee of course.

The limitations on mobile browsing will be 'interesting'. I look forward to seeing exactly what is available.

It's a big step in the right direction.

3GScottishUser
2nd September 2005, 03:13 PM
I have grave doubts that any serious business user or enthuiast would risk giving 3 UK £45 a month for data access. Most spending that sort of cash know what sort of reputation 3 have earned to date and its not as if there are'nt comparable products already available at broadly similar prices.

When you sit back and think about it, would you really want to gamble your business requirements on a network that has so far proven to be such a dissapointment to the average consumer?

Ben
2nd September 2005, 04:48 PM
We mustn't forget that for a lot of people Three functions just fine as a communications service. I think this new offering will allow companies looking to make cost savings, but previously unable to look to Three due to the lack of connectivity for remote workers, to consider Three for the first time and just add the data add-on for employees that need it. Also, business get UK based customer services. So, combined, that's the two 'big issues' addressed.

3GScottishUser
2nd September 2005, 06:11 PM
3 UK still only offer consumer tariffs to companies and that is simply no use these days when others provide much cheaper alternatives. Far from wanting more advanced services most companies restrict handsets and remove MMS, Browsing and many other common functions as they dont want staff either running up costs or wasting their time using these. (My local Vodafone Business Manager told me this).

Sure data might open a few doors but realistically 3 UK are not in the business market nor will they be until they can offer a service that is as reliable as the GSM coverage that companies rely on daily.

BTW: What happens when Mr Smith who works for XYZ Ltd goes outwith 3's very limited geographic coverage for data use? Will they have a roaming agreement to provide GPRS coverage from 02? A very big question and one which will have to be addressed before their data offering gets any serious consideration by anyone.