View Full Version : O2 - Extending the Ring Time (iPhone and others)

Hands0n
19th April 2009, 06:40 PM
The default O2 ring time, before going to Voicemail, on O2 can be a bit short. I suspect that it is only around 10 - 15 seconds which is not long enough for some. Certainly it is not for me. And so I needed to extend the ring time to something more reasonable.

There may be a setting in some handsets for this to be changed, but on the iPhone (and I suspect many others) the only way is to send O2 a command string.

The way to vary the ring time is to use your phone's dial keypad to enter **61*901*11*30# and then press the DIAL or SEND button (usually green). A few seconds later O2 will respond with a message saying that the parameter has changed.

Notes;
- The number of seconds is the last two digits highlighted in red.
- The minimum is 5 seconds and the maximum is 30.
- Enter single digits without a leading zero (0).

Full Call Divert information culled from the O2 website...

Call divert
If you can't answer your mobile, you can divert your calls to another number of your choice. It won't cost you a thing to set up a divert, but you will be charged for the diverted calls according to your usual tariff. For example, if you divert to another O2 phone you'll be charged at your O2 to O2 rate, and so on.

The way you activate, check and cancel diverts varies according to why you're setting it up.

If you're not reachable, you can:

Activate diverts by pressing * * 62 * 901 # [send]
Cancel diverts by pressing # # 62 # [send]
Check the status of your divert by pressing * # 62 # [send]
To divert calls when your phone is busy:

Press * * 67 * 901 # [send] to activate
Press # # 67 # [send] to cancel
Check status by pressing * # 67 # [send]
To divert calls when there's no reply:

Press * *61 * 901 * 11 * number of seconds # [send]
Cancel by Pressing # # 61 # [send]
Check status by pressing * # 61 # [send]
Note: You only need to press * 11 * if you want to change the length of time your phone rings before it goes to Voicemail. It's normally set to 30 seconds, but if you prefer, you can amend this to 5 - 25 seconds in increments of five seconds.

To divert all calls:

Key * * 21 * 901 # [send]
Cancel by keying # # 21 # [send]
Check status by keying * # 21 # [send]
To cancel all your diverts:

Key # # 002 # [send]

Ben
20th April 2009, 11:36 AM
Ah, good stuff! :) The cynic in me would suggest that the ring time is deliberately short to increase the number of calls that go to voicemail, which probably generates increased call activity...

solo12002
21st April 2009, 08:54 AM
Dot forget 02is one of the few networks now that give you free voicemail.I know it maens the caller may have to pay to leave themessage but then you no being screwed to collect like Virgin, Vodafone etc.

miffed
21st April 2009, 11:36 AM
Dot forget 02is one of the few networks now that give you free voicemail.I know it maens the caller may have to pay to leave themessage but then you no being screwed to collect like Virgin, Vodafone etc.

Ah yes , but (obviously) with Vodafone , the qaulity of the "beep" you speak after is far superior to the other networks , making it worth every penny ;)

I quite like the short ringtime TBH , means I get to play with Visual Voicemail ! :)

Ben
21st April 2009, 12:12 PM
I quite like the short ringtime TBH , means I get to play with Visual Voicemail ! :)
Me too, means I don't have to speak to people ;)

There should be a 'screen' feature, so you can listen in on messages as they're being recorded and pick up if you want.

gorilla
21st April 2009, 12:44 PM
I'm completely different. I often 'reject' calls just becasue I'm too busy to answer (it's true) but 9 times out of 10 no one will leave a message.

When I call people and it goes to voicemail, I hang up and text. Why? I know they will read the text, there is no guarantee they will listen to the voicemail. I know plenty of people who have to pay to listen to voicemail and they quite simply wont bother.