View Full Version : Monday 24/4/06 I port away from 3

Hands0n
23rd April 2006, 10:39 PM
Tomorrow, Monday 24 April 2006, I port away from 3 to T-Mobile with my new Flext 35 + Web N Walk (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?nmid2=ctl_pas_pp_details&nmid=pas_pp_plan_fl_paym_mixit_details&menuid=ctl_pas_pp_change_plan&ppid=923&pf=Flext+%2B+web%27n%27walk+plans) (unlimited surfing and email) and 25% discount for life [of the contract that is]. This provides, for £31.88, £180 worth of allowance to be used up at T-Mobile's prevailing Flext tariff which equates to 1,800 SMS or 900 Voice minutes - and anything in between the two. MMS is included in the mix, but Videocall is not (shame!).

My expiring 3 contract is a Talk & Text 600 (500 mins voice + 100 SMS) @ £30 with a Add Video Value @ £5 = total monthly cost £35. I have got on reasonably well with that particular tariff but occasionally have gone over my SMS and Voice minutes with the resultant heamorraging of money on 3's standard rate call charges!

The trade off is that I am not getting "unlimited" content downloads with T-Mobile but I am not getting any kind of "unlimited" Internet access with 3. I'd rather the Internet access than goofy content which I hardly ever used anyway. I'll miss the included 30 mins of Videocall (part of the Add Video Value pack) but then I get 50 mins on Vodafone anyway as part of my basic contract with them! So all in all, I see it very much as an improved level of service to me rather than an actual loss of any kind.

I don't know what I'll do with the wholesome £3.12 saving I'll be making on the difference between the contract prices :) It would have been significant had I not taken up Web N Walk - but that is one of the prime reasons I am switching to T-Mobile.

So what has life with 3 been like so far?

I'm not leaving 3 because I am in any way mad at them - I've been there, done that, got the scars from the Day-One adventure I had with them at their launch. Overall, 3 and their network service has simply got better and works for me almost 100%. There is nothing more I can ask at a practical or technical level. I'll not spoil things by giving my well-known opinion on 3's Customer Services. Lets save that for another time. They still have the potential to mess things up for me before we [completely] go our separate ways.

The 15-months that I have been on contract with 3 have been highly successful overall. I have been able to use the service for my business, something that I would have considered unthinkable prior to getting my feet wet with 3 for the second time. I spent the first five months evaluating the service as a personal calls only before giving out the number for business (it is a nice number with a distinctive pattern to it - hence my porting it, although it is not Gold). Only when I was truly satisfied that 3 could deliver a credible level of service did I move business over to it. I have not been disappointed or let down.

I like 3's portal, particularly My3 - the latter very much. My3 is an act to follow by the others - none of whom, in my opinion, come even close at the moment. Self Care is the future which really ought to be here right now! I can take or leave much of 3's content though - I am not a content person generally. But there is some good stuff on 3's portal including the [now] free News!

Life with 3 has, thus, been acceptably good. But then I have not suffered any technical, administration or other difficulties that have required my liaising with 3's Customer Services. Prior experience of my own, and reading reports of others, would suggest that such contact tends to lead to the ruination of the relationship between Customer and 3. And so, I am leaving them on good terms - and they say they like me also as I have been a reliable bill payer. Duh! That is surely what Direct Debit is all about n'est pas?

To ensure a successfull closure between this particular Customer and the 3 company they have a relatively simple series of steps to perform. These would be to

Successfully allow the port to happen tomorrow
Send me an accurate final bill
Take the correct amount of money owed using Direct Debit
Close the account down cleanly and not generate any further bills (which would ultimately end up in a bun fight between me, 3 and their debt collection agent).

Can they do this? We'll find out over the next 60 - 90 days! Because if they can, then the door is wide open to me returning to 3 at a future date. If they cannot ........ well .......... you catch my drift.

Fingers crossed it is then :D

timothythetim
24th April 2006, 12:54 AM
My number is also getting ported from Three tomorrow (today), but to a Vodafone sim only 30 day contract.
I don't really have any comlpaints about them apart from the fact that my house was on the 2G/3G boundary line which made for a fair few dropped calls in the house. They gave me a 6680 and a stupid amount of free minutes for, after jumping through some redemtion hoops, a pretty low price (16 quid/month).
The reason I am switching is probably because I want some more included texts and proper internet access.

Prob gonna switch to flext when the N80 comes out though.

Hands0n
24th April 2006, 07:42 PM
At 07:30 I observed that the number had partially ported over, I could receive calls on my T-Mobile handset using the 3 number, but making calls said I was still on the old number. At 12:25 it was all over :) Number successfully ported from 3 to T-Mobile, all facilities working (Voicecall, SMS, MMS and Videocall).

So that is the first of four simple steps achieved (see previous post of mine) - I am a bit anxious about the remaining three given that they rely upon CS :( and their Back Office administration :eek:

timothythetim
24th April 2006, 10:02 PM
Same story for me, number seems to have ported fine. Only tried voicecalls and SMS because im not using a 3G phone (I'm waiting for my 6680 to be unlocked) but it all seems to be going to plan.

Hands0n
25th April 2006, 09:29 AM
Got a bill from 3 today :eek: - didn't expect that. It is the flat monthly rental covering all my usage to date. I don't think it'll be the final bill though, they need to charge me for part of this monthly cycle.

Scary even thinking that 3 are getting all efficient in their back office all of a sudden.

Edit: I tried to blag an unlock code for my eBay-bought Nokia 6680 ............... and failed. 3 have it on record that the contract was arranged with a Motorola E1000 and that there has been no upgrade made. I bought the contract from an independent dealer - queried where I got the 6680 from and I said the dealer knowing they dont like supporting eBay bought handsets. They have advised me to get the independent dealer to "upgrade" my handset on their system and then come back for the unlock code. I'll have to put on my best blagging hat and take a wander down to see him - he'll not be too happy that I've not used him to transfer over to T-Mobile, but he couldn't get me the "25% for life" discount. Money talks! So maybe he'll not spend the time and effort "upgrading" me on 3. So I can either pop my Threepay USIM into the 6680 or flog it off on eBay and put the money aside to help contribute to a SIM-free N80 or one of the new N-series babies announced by Nokia today (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2444)

bsrjl1
25th April 2006, 01:58 PM
Do you loose the 25% discount if you upgrade with TM in 12/months? Or is it really 'for life'?

Hands0n
25th April 2006, 05:32 PM
TM do say in their Ts&Cs that any change in tariff could affect the 25% discount. So it is not really for life but more for the life of the contract that you took out originally!

gorilla
2nd May 2006, 05:16 PM
OK, please don't think this is daft, but how do I actually find out when my number will port from three to vodafone? I've confirmation from vodafone that it's good to go, but they can't confirm when and three say that it's a vodafone issue. How did you guys find out when your number was being ported?

Cheers.

a_ukboy
2nd May 2006, 07:05 PM
If you're porting to Vodafone from Three then Voda should give you a date the transfer will happen, all Three do is generate a code that's valid for 30 days.. Voda CS should be able to tell you when it should happen, usually five working days after you give the new network the port details..

gorilla
2nd May 2006, 07:19 PM
cheers, I thought as much. I guess the voda guy couldn't read the screen or something.

Hands0n
2nd May 2006, 11:40 PM
T-Mobile sent me a text message about the port date, then 24 hours before sent another, and then once it was done sent me yet another to say that it was completed! Now that's what I call service.

gorilla
15th May 2006, 02:13 PM
My number has been ported over to vodafone today :)
I now have an unlocked 6680, flashed with the latest firmware with a brand new shiny voda 30 day sim. A quick play with the nokia settings wizzard and vodafone live is working. I was able to watch the cricket so the streaming works. My default email was setup in no time whatsoever to gmail. It took me a while to figure out how to set up 3mail last year. If only 3 had open net access I probably wouldn't have left. I've ordered myself a new balck cover as well, so it'll be like a totally new phone.

timothythetim
15th May 2006, 04:36 PM
You are actually exactly the same as me apart from the black 6680 cover.
Where did you get yours from?

gorilla
15th May 2006, 05:30 PM
You are actually exactly the same as me apart from the black 6680 cover.
Where did you get yours from?
ebay for £7. Hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week. My last cover was from ebay as well and it was ok until I repeatedly dropped it one night :eek: and the front camera cover fell off. Saying that the phone is still in good nick.

timothythetim
15th May 2006, 07:21 PM
I dunno whether it's worth it to buy one at this stage, depends how long it's gonna take for the N80 to get its act together an be released on all the networks direct.
How long are you planning on keeping your vodafone 30 day contract?

gorilla
15th May 2006, 08:18 PM
Not long, a couple of months maybe. It'll all depend on how I get on with the tariff. I like the 6680 and so while I want an N80 I'm quite happy to wait and see what develops.

This is the one I ordered (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COOL-FACIA-COVER-KEYPAD-FOR-NOKIA-6680-ALL-BLACK_W0QQitemZ280000084031QQcategoryZ57254QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem)

3GScottishUser
15th May 2006, 10:29 PM
Just a reminder to those who port a 3 UK issued number out to another network.... you are porting out the excessive termination charges too.

When you port out a number your caller pays the rate that the issuing network terminates at. Sad but true. Call charges are based on the original network who's number it was, so when a 3 number is called from a BT line it'll cost more than double to chat than if the call was to an alternative network issued number.

Things will change when Ofcom force 3 to reduce ternination charges but that might take a while.

Worth some serious consideration especially if your own BT line might be used by family to keep in contact.

timothythetim
16th May 2006, 12:09 AM
Ach it does't bother me too much, I hardly ever get landline calls, but cheers for pointing that out.
It is a bit cheeky of three isn't it.